The benchmarking tool algorithm looks for a group of 50 schools which are similar to the school in question based on:
- Phase (e.g. primary, secondary etc)
- Location (schools in London and grouped together, schools outside of London are grouped together)
- Number of pupils (includes schools with pupil numbers 30 +20% higher and lower than the school in question)
- Percentage of pupils eligible for FSM (includes schools with FSM pupil percentages 3 + 10% higher and lower than the school in question)
- Per pupil expenditure (includes schools with similar or lower per pupil funding)
If less than 50 schools are found, the number of pupils, percentage of FSM pupils and per pupil expenditure fields are widened until 50 schools are available.
The schools with the highest per pupil scores are then returned in the comparison tables.